Thursday, October 27, 2011

Caleb's birthstory!

I finally have time to share my birth story...Caleb Scott made his appearance on October 19th. I arrived at the hospital at 5 am to start my induction, I was started on pitocin around 5:45. (I was being induced because he was weighing in at around 9lbs and they were afraid if I waited much longer I would end up c-section). I started to have some mild contractions, nothing major. My doc broke my water around 8:30, and the contractions immediately jumped off the charts back to back. I was not getting any kind of break between, I really wanted to go all natural but after about 2 hours I BEGGED for an epidural and boy was it sweet! Even though it took awhile for it to kick in, the anesthesiologist had to keep pumping me full of medicine and eventually had to give me the full surgical strength before I was getting any kind of relief. They gave me some additional medicine to be sure my blood pressure wouldn't drop b/c of the meds, well about 10 minutes later I was talking to my sister and 4 nurses came running into my room, my blood pressure was dropping and Caleb's heart rate dropped into the 40's they pumped me full of more meds and finally his hr went back to normal. This was really really scary. 
By 11:30 I was at 6cm. By 5:30 I was STILL at 6cm. Doc started talking c-section, she was afraid he was too big and couldn't get settled into my pelvis to help me progress. I started crying because I was absolutely terrified to get a c-section. Joe and I discussed the whole situation for about 30 minutes and basically decided that it was time to move forward with c-section. Doc checked me at 6:05 and I had jumped to 9cm! By 6:30 I was complete! I labored down for about an hour and did some practice pushes, by 8:05 it was go time I started pushing and he was here at 8:38! All 8lbs 6oz and 21.5 inches of him. It was love at first sight and I still can't get enough of him!
 Joe was absolutely amazing through the whole labor/delivery process too! He helped me breath through the contractions and helped me wait as long as I could before getting the epidural.  I told Joe before hand that no matter how much I begged for an epidural to not let me get one, but I didn't realize that I would jump from basically no contractions to the kind of contractions you have right before baby makes his appearance. When it came time to push Joe was right there with me helping and talking me through it. He would sometimes go check out what was going on down there, he got to see Caleb crowning and told me he had hair! lol :) Joe said, "he is about to be here!" I didn't believe him and then about 30 seconds later Caleb was laying on my chest for some skin to skin. It was the sweetest and best moment of my life! I couldn't believe that he was finally here and that Joe and I were officially parents.  We got to leave the hospital that Friday, it was nice to be home with our family of 3 instead of 2. :) 
I will update more later but Caleb is still asleep so I am going to take a nap as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment